Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Vent is Open

Some of you may know that in February, I told the EBM that I was going to be leaving in May to pursue other adventures in life...aka...watching my then unborn niece when my sister-in-law went back to work. The reasons behind announcing this so early was that the EBM would be able to put out an ad and interview people for my position ASAP, therein allowing time to pick the right candidate and have me train them before I leave.

On Thursday, EBM calls me into his office to tell me that he has decided NOT to replace me but instead, divvy up my work and delegate it to the 3 less fortunate co-workers I am leaving behind. If I had even an ounce of integrity I would have voiced my opinions about what a bad idea delegating more work to your only 3 office staff who are already overworked.

Alas, I have decided to not say a word. In fact, I am seriously looking forward to see what kind of train wreck happens here in the next few months. It is not that I think my co-workers are incompetent - they are far from it. They are very good at what THEY do...the question is, can they be good at doing what I do while still doing what they do. Again, we are not talking brain surgery here, but the position requires flexibility, the ability to multi-task and knowing how to navigate our computer system. The two unfortunates who will get the brunt of my work are not, how shall we say this, the most computer savvy people. Sigh...what a nightmare. These poor people aren't even getting a pay raise...just more work heaped on their plate. It's not like this place has awesome benefits or any perks whatsoever so at the very least you would not mind the extra work.

Anyway, be prepared for some outrageous posts as the next 6 weeks unfold. My money is on co-worker A quitting and co-worker B having a nervous breakdown. Co-worker C will probably be OK since she has been here for years and is used to dealing with the insanity and bad judgement of my employers.

No comments: