I swiped this from the fabulous Michelle at Bleeding Espresso. I did not do this in 2008 (for obvious reasons) so I am happy to revisit this meme and reflect on what has been an exciting and eventful year. To see what I did in 2007 click here.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? Participate in the Kids Lit Klub at Cabrini where I worked with 3 amazing women to create a reading camp from start to finish. Work in an elementary school as a reading specialist. Be a mom.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I think the only "resolution" I made was to be the best mom possible to my son - hopefully I have done this but you never know.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? So many babies so little time...the short list of new babies...Mackenzie, Isabella, Booker, Jack, Olivia (beautiful niece #1), Naomi (beautiful niece #2), Taylor (beautiful niece #3), Ethan (beautiful nephew)...I am sure there are more but who can keep track!
4. Did anyone close to you die? Not this year, but my friend Dave passed away in Sept of 2008 after a 9 m0nth battle with Melanoma. I think of him and his family often.
5. What countries did you visit? Italy
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? My teaching certification and a job!
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Jan 4 - my friend Suzie went into labor while watching the Eagles game at her parents house. April 17 - had to take Simon to the Emergency Room in the middle of the night because he fell out of his carseat. he had to have a cat scan and it was awful. May 15 - my niece Olivia was born. Oct 12 - my first day student teaching!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Passing all my Praxis tests on the first try!
9. What was your biggest failure? I wish I had been able to breast feed Simon longer - but 5 months is great.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Not that I can recall. Had surgery on my gums which was heinous but I am lucky to have been healthy. Still have high blood pressure, despite my weight loss.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Well my mom bought it for me but my Snuggie. There, I said it.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My beautiful son who has learned to walk at 12 months!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? JD our cat...bad bad bad kitty likes to poop and pee in our basement but not in his litter box which is in the basement.
14. Where did most of your money go? Our mortgage, our bills, the last of my grad school classes. Oh yeah, and formula, diapers, etc.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Taking Simon to Italy to meet Nonna Linda!
16. What song will always remind you of 2009? I Gotta Feelin by the Black Eyed Peas....Simon loves this song and dances to it all the time.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? Happier (getting more sleep!), thinner (like by 65lbs!), the same...still need to find a job.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? At the beginning of the year...sleep!
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Second guessing my parenting skills.
20. How did you spend Christmas? Dad, Uncle, Dan, Simon and I had dinner at our house. Mom was in Italy and we missed her.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009? Yes, with Stacy's Simply Naked Pita Chips...I am eating some right now!
22. What was your favorite TV program? Glee!!! Makes me so happy!
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I try not to be a hater.
24. What was the best book you read? The Things They Carried by Tom O'Brien. Not my usual cup of tea but a really moving book.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? The Laurie Berkner Band - Simon loves her and so do I!
27. What did you want and not get? A paying job.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Duh, New Moon :)
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was 36 and I was in class that night so I didn't do anything. Dan took me to dinner later that week. (this was the same thing as 2007...weird)
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Getting paid for my student teaching - but I love it so I cannot complain.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? It fits? I'll wear it!
32. What kept you sane? My son's smile and giggles.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? My favorite vampire - Robert Pattinson
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Clean water is a basic human right.
35. Who did you miss? All my DC ladies...I still miss you greatly!
36. Who was the best new person you met? Karen, my cooperating teacher
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. No matter how bleak life seems, there is always someone who is worse off than you - so get over it!
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Still the same as 2007. "In dreams begin responsibilities" - U2, Acrobat My dream was to have a family of my own...and with that came all my responsibilities.
How did you all fair in 2009? Post a comment if you decided to do a year end review so I can read it as well.
I have high hopes for 2010 so bring it on peeps!